Northeastern Anatolia. Ani, a ghost medieval city near the border with Armenia. View from the Minuchir mosque, caimed as the first built in Anatolia by the Seljuk Turks and the oldest surviving part is its still intact minaret. View of the Arpa Kayi (or Akhurian River) that forms part of the current border between Turkey (first plane) and Armenia (back) with the ruins of Silk road's old bridge. Ani was once the capital of a medieval Armenian kingdom that covered much of present day Armenia and eastern Turkey. Called the "City of 1001 Churches", it stood on various trade routes and its many religious buildings, palaces, and fortifications were amongst the most technically and artistically advanced structures in the world.
At its height, with a population of more than 100,000 people, was a rival of Constantinople. Only in the 19th century European travelers rediscovered Ani.